To a condo owner, renovating can not only enhance the unit aesthetically but can also increase its value if he is trying to sell it. However, as renovations tend to cost a lot when you go overboard, it’s necessary to remember that the biggest impact can come from the smallest changes, particularly in a limited space like a condo. Here are some affordable changes that you can do on a shoestring budget.
- A fresh coat of paint always has a way of brightening up a certain room. Choose a shade that compliments the rest of the unit to keep with its general look. Also, if you really want to save, you can opt to paint just one wall of the room as an accent wall.
- Changing your lighting style can change the ambiance of your unit. Add a few light fixtures in strategic areas of the condo to make it appear bigger. For a dramatic touch, you can also put your lights on a dimmer switch. If you want to bring in more light to the condo, you can either add a window to a wall, or change your heavy drapes to sheer ones or to light-filtering blinds.
- Replacing entire kitchen and bathroom cabinets can be expensive and, if they only look weathered, a waste of money. Consider refinishing them with paint or varnish instead, especially if they are generally in good condition.
- If you want to give an impression of a full kitchen or bathroom make-over, focus on the handles and hinges. Replace any loose, broken and missing hinges and handles of doors, cabinets and drawers. Consider replacing faucets that are looking rusty, and give your bathroom mirror a good cleaning to get water stains out and get it looking new again.
- Condos are not exactly known for their space, which means that your closet might be on the small side. You can change this by reorganizing it and getting rid of things you no longer need, and affixing closet organizers to maximize the space. You can also go to garage sales and find bookshelves or cabinets that you can buy for a song and refurnish to go with the unit.
Whether you want to put up your condo for sale or if you’re just looking for a change in scenery, these tips are sure to satisfy your needs, and won’t put a hole in your pocket in the process.
About the Author: Jillian Cariola works with MyProperty.ph, a Philippine real estate portal that aims to help people find available local properties in the most specific and user-friendly way possible.